Meaningful Gap Year Experiences

This is actually what happened in August. The objective is to continue the “August Half Recap” even this is already in the middle of September. Why not?

August was truly blessed for me. I build a new wisdom of life.

I started college life in very big university in my town which is UNS (Universitas Sebelas Maret Surakarta). College life began with orientation days. Shortly, they were amazing. Before I come here, I’d say that I’ve passed my gap year experience where my blessings are started from.

For some of you who may not know what gap year is. Here Wikipedia explains “A gap year, also known as a sabbatical year, is a year’s break between high school and college/university, aimed at promoting a mature outlook with which to absorb the benefits of higher education.” Simply, Merriam Webster Dictionary describes “a one-year hiatus from academic studies to allow for nonacademic activities”
I couldn’t believe that I’d experience this such thing. Being a gap year in Indonesia generally means you are too dumb or you are too weak for academic reasons. In contrast, for developed countries like German, Belgium, Australia, etc many of high schooler graduates choose to take a gap year just to make sure what their passions, skills, and purposes of life are. My gap year experience naturally gave me that way.

At first, I thought that this will be a very awful experience for me. At the end of the year, I reaIize that I took it for granted. As the definition above, it is true that I spent my gap year time in much more nonacademic activities. Moreover, I also took participation in such academic activity. It is English which I considered my one of my skills to improve so that is why I chose English Education Department. At first, I knew that my objective wasn’t to be future teacher or educator so I chose iainska because of reasonable price to spend for nothing serious like me. HEHE. Honestly, the institute really tried to give their best for the students yet I didn’t feel enough for only following academic rules. I challenged myself to join radio community extracurricular in order to explore my interest toward public speaking. Furthermore, I started joining social movement community that was something I didn’t look up to. I really appreciate the process that I’ve been involved in. These communities really thought me lessons. They lead me to be more tolerant, communicative, humble, respectful, and sensitive to some kind of issues out there. The biggest lesson for me at the moment is we can’t to be the most egoistic person in the world, all of us depend to one another. We need humans to life, communicate, and, share with. We help each other in good aspect in order to survive in this cruel enough earth, don’t we?
SBT XI - DISTA FM CREWS <3


ORIENTATION DAYS.

Also, I found some friends who really give me others perspective of life. Life is so hard for you that won’t fight. There is one opens my mind how hard life is by her struggle to make money. Yet, life is so far beautiful for you that have desire to life at the moment. Life at the moment here means no talking about the past frequently nor thinking too far about future. Talking about your past frequently just makes you more arrogant, overly proud, sadder some times, and not visionary. In another words, thinking too far about future makes us dizzier and not appreciate to what God gives now. Just remember to be grateful both in ups and downs.

SUPER FRIENDS <3


3E FAMILY <3

Again, I tell you that a gap year isn’t a bad thing. It teaches you lessons. It grows your mind. It matures your attitude. Last but not least, it gives you true meaning of family who are actually your sisters or brothers from another blood :)

For some of you that may be in gap year process now, be patient, smile, and prove whoever wrong. This phase is very worth to wait.

Then, I finished my gap year by questioning “So, what’s next?” I made up my mind to face the challenge to be in bigger community for improving what I love to do. Seriously, UNS isn’t trying to make fun of me.

Anew, I always thank to God for giving me chances which not all of my coevals experience this.
See you in another nice sharing!!
-fny-

Comments