We see Jesus differently, but we are friend.

So dear my fellow Indonesian friends,

To be honest, I am irritated to open social media in the Christmas holiday. The most topic found will be whether Muslim is allowed to say 'Merry Christmas' or not. Well, I do appreciate my friends who believe that Jesus in Christianity and Islam are put in a different perspective. Therefore, there is this annual boring debate.

Let me tell you

I was so firm in senior high school that I can't say "Merry Christmas" to my Christian friends. However, I've been learning in university a lot more thing about peace, humanity, and culture that have changed my mind. In condition, I am practising friendship in larger scale too. I met people not only from different cities other than Solo but also from different countries and continent. They bring their own identity and custom, so do I. This also changed my perspective too.

At first, I don't want to write this thing. However, I saw an Instagram post from @quranreview about Christian are good friends this morning. It is so mind-provoking.

Then, I remembered my Spanish good friend sent me a video of her and her family enjoying Christmas dinner this early morning (Indonesia time). Hi, Anna! She told me what food is served during Christmas. She even video-called me during her way to church just to have friend-talk like asking "how are you" and she showed me about how they celebrate Christmas.

I answered the messages an hour late and thinking should I congratulate her for celebrating Christmas? Ended up, I "kind of" did. I don't say the way that some Islamic scholars are prohibited.

FYI, Some Islamic scholars argue that saying "Merry Christmas" means Muslim admitting to Jesus Christ or shortly confession to Christianity. 

I just typed back like this "Have a nice la cena de navidad" which means "Have a nice Christmas dinner"
Check that Instagram post here


Another story.....

My American friend invited me to bake cookies together with her English club. She wanted her students to practise their English by reading how to make cookies procedure text. In addition, she did say she wanted to show how American celebrating Christmas. This was the reason she played English Christmas songs alongside making sugar cookies. FYI again, sugar cookies are common sweat treats for Christmas in America. In my opinion, I am okay with the invitation. It was my pleasure to learn about another culture.




From these phenomena, I just want to write my reflection, for myself :)

I thank God to give me this opportunity. I am surrounded by people around the globe from whom I can learn many different things. We exchange culture stories, religion facts, and many more things. Believe me, they are very good friends. Just like Qur'an told us, "Christians are the best friend for believers"

Growing up I see a humanist perspective in a friendship. Friendship is there to create a peaceful human connection. So, I am learning to sustain a good communication with them. One of the ways was I accepted the invitation. Don't blame me for this, Ya Allah. I know that You are watching. God does know my purest intention of why I did so. Other tips are keeping in touch, asking well-being condition, visiting them regularly.

"Friendship is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned everything" -Muhammad Ali.

I hope I can practice friendship well so that I don't disappoint them that have been so good to me :)

As far as I concern, non-Muslim doesn't open the Quran and read Hadith, they only "read" Muslim. So be a good model. I am trying to be a good Muslim ambassador so that they can understand that Islam is peaceful. Basically, you don't need to be Muslim to endorse goodness. Kindness is a universal language people can understand. Furthermore, I do believe that action often speaks louder than words 💛 I got this insight from Ustad Nouman Ali Khan post.

Lastly whether to say Merry Christmas or not,
In my very honest opinion, it all depends on the intention. To which you put the perspective also matters. In my experience, Allah has introduced me into many events that have shifted me from non-tolerance at all to say Merry Christmas and even singing Christmas jingle to someone who promotes peace among the diverse cultural environment. Currently, I am practising a global citizenship principle.

PS: I'm not an Islamic scholar at all, I am just a Muslim peace ambassador (in case you need a term). So, don't believe in me 3000, ok? This letter comes from 100% of my mental opinion. You don't need to follow mine. I just take advantage of the freedom of speech opportunity here.

Comments