Finding a Job is Like Finding a Destiny

What I see on Linkedin last year when I was about to apply for jobs is how hilarious the competition was. The company seeks experienced staff while job seekers looking for a job to be experienced. 

I never thought that I would get one shoot moment at my two job applications. I did not really feel the confusion to secure a job. At that time, I believed that I would get the job that I dream of. This post is dedicated to rationalizing my experience. 



First things first, intrapersonal skills are my greatest strength. I am so self-aware. 

Understanding what I want in my life is always the core of my nature. Many people judged me as ambitious since I am too firm in my 'dream'. They call it a dream, I call it a vision. I always try to direct myself to my short, mid, and long-term goals. So when it comes to job applications, I tried to find something achievable to make my mid-term goal comes true which is to be a lecturer. I began questioning myself. Do I want the experience? money? connection? or credibility? I know that part of me would always like the idea of growing with others. So I seek professional development with cooperative teamwork. In addition, I believe that teaching experience in high-performing academic culture will help me visioning my mid-term goals.

Secondly, I chose not to move places as I kind of have a promise to myself that I will not leave Solo if not for higher education or marriage if Allah make it possible someday. I have considered this without a second thought as I see many opportunities for me to grow from my home alone. I also would like to dedicate my life before moving home to being surrounded by my family. I would like to accompany my one kind (mother and father) and cherish time with my siblings. 

At last, the job application process came at the right time when I settled with my experiences and set of values. I really knew what I want to contribute to my working place. 




So by that, I conclude that finding a job is like finding a destiny. It will come at the right time. It will fall in the right place. It will find us somewhere we have not been so dire to call a 'company'. 

For those who happened to be in a job application right now, here are a few practical things that perhaps can help: 

1. List green and red flag factors (values) for your company to work on

Just like finding a partner to spend the rest of your life with you, you first need to jot down what works and might not work if you happen to work in a company. Simply, make a list of criteria! I wrote something like this: 

Green flag: the company values cultural and religious diversity, the company allows me to teach fully in English,  and the company provides in-training services. Beyond that then a bonus. 
Red flag: the company is not egalite and very structural! It is a big no-no for me!  

2. Research the company's mission for a shake of your mental health

In marriage life, I guess we will choose a potential partner that fulfills our interests. In short, two people gather because of a spark. Similar to a job! How do you feel if you work with a cause that you totally avoid or dislike for 8-10 hours a day? I am sure you will be frustrated. So before a job application, make sure you know yourself. Make sure you have finished all of the "loving yourself" battle. 

I know that some of us would like to find a job for money. However, I never suggest sinking into a job only for a material thing. It is the affection that matters in marriage, and so is a job. 

3. Measure what you can contribute to the company 

Similarly, if you want to be a husband or wife, you need to know your role to make every household errand achieved. Therefore, it is always a good idea to reflect on yourself. Again, it is about us. Try to jot down your achievements so far. Visualize your CV to know if you have the weapon (skills, knowledge, and credibility) to perform the job. Do apply to the role that you are confident you have all the modal to tackle the problem. 

This last point can be a very top-down strategy. You need to have a vision on top to know what you are going to do at the bottom. Let's say you want to be a YouTuber someday. You believe you will make it because you know that your nature and nurture are a communicator. Then, you will try to make every day an opportunity to unlock your potential and improve your skills by joining the editor community for instance. Every day your personality and your achievement grow and so does your goal. 

In my next post, I would share the values I match with my current working place and how could I feel like I find a home that is vacant for so long time. Additionally, I will share my takeaways from almost 10 months of working. 

With love, 

Fanaya 

Comments