Internet World: is it really the new normal to get connected?

2020. What a magical year! I have seen so many worldwide breaking events in just almost half of the whole year. 

One thing for sure during the pandemic quarantine is much more time to engage with the internet world. The thing that quite triggers my mind now is its ability to expand my horizon and my perspective towards any issues. 

I have to say that the new normal of making a connection: meet in the virtual discussion gives me a sense of more advance horizon about the outside world. I mean. . . 

I can see how Germans/Americans/Europeans' live their life from YouTube Vlogs 
I can listen to so many podcasts from all over the world talking about big words like minimalism, insecurity, self-control, digital marketing, self-branding, etc. 
I can register millions of online classes everywhere with many topics that I never think before e.g. Muslim Feminism 
I can have live streaming with people all over the world 
I can express my own feeling and raise up my voice FREELY by posting it on social media 
I feel like Instagram becomes the new normal of business card nowadays haha. Don't you think so?
And other lively connections that I can not imagine before. 

But once I go offline and switch off the virtual world, I feel frustrated a bit. It is not the same world, I have to say. People are being more low key and sincere when I see them in person. It's not only about smiley emoji faces anymore :) The big idea about tolerance, democracy, humanity, appreciation, compassion, anything of big words you can mention it’s suddenly all gone. Umm, not totally gone! It’s hanging on the air. In reality, we are practising in action not merely expressing in some words which I think it is more truthful. 

However, I have to say that I think balance does take a big portion in this discussion. To balance between our time in the internet world and in reality. Well, I can always advise myself to go far by networking worldwide, yet, I should have always kept myself aware of my small circle. I know that human seems to appreciate more people in long-distance than from their small circle, but, I have to always remember not to take things for granted especially for beloved ones near me by also keeping a connection with them and asking their well-being condition. 

Secondly, not to force applying the ideal assumption I see and listen to in the crafted world (read: social media) into an everyday daily routine. It takes time. It goes little by little to swallow pop cultures to the multifaceted background of people, I guess. 

By this far of reflection writing, I remember a line from my native language 
“Teknologi mampu mendekatkan yang jauh dan menjauhkan yang dekat.” 
which can be literally translated to the ability of technology is to get whoever in distance closer and to make broader space to whoever is near. I reckon it’s indeed very true.

Lastly, I hope I can have the best of both worlds. Balance, Balance, and still Balance.

Comments