Betterment: A Way to Explore Inside

Many people have glorified the tranquillity of moving to other places, travelling abroad, leaving our house, and some say stepping out of comfort zone, yet some questions; have you had travelled inside you? Exploring your inner soul? Do you know the difference between 'take a journey' and 'have a journey'? 

This one-year pandemic has taught me one thing that I am able to build peace to just be with myself. I am not mentioning that I isolate myself from public recognition or simply friends. My point is that I can survive without knowing new places and just be at home with my family most of the time.

Furthermore, I make this time to learn more about my city through an art and culture volunteering program where I am studying the history of my hometown, the culture, the food, and the cool places to be introduced to other people later when everything back to normal (Let's hope that the old normality back). After reading this line, you may have a question. "Why should you learn about your own hometown? You are living there anyway."

Before I went to sleep yesterday, I watched a video from "TheCottageFairy" YouTube channel entitled 'What I learned from travelling full time'. This video realized me that we often neglect the journey within ourselves and less appreciate our own space's exploration.

"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of the mountain, at the huge wave at the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions at the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering." -St. Augustine.

See? We tend to fond of seeking new experiences from outside. We are fearful of missing out that our itinerary is not as many as other people living in the 21st century when nomad becomes a trend. There's a burden that "My Instagram page doesn't show places where I went. I should go somewhere now." Don't you feel?

There's also a complicated journey to know about ourselves. We miss to evaluate our self-concept; what kind of people I can easily connect with, what kind of topic I like to read, what ability I can use to make money, what environment I feel belong, etc.

When somebody asks us to describe ourselves, we puzzle. We probably only mention visible facts like our address, studies, ages, etc. When somebody encourages us to do a certain way, we'll just follow it anyway cause we don't know our focus yet. We haven't explored inside.

As a Muslim, I feel that Ramadhan is the best month to do a lot of reflection about ourselves. It's approaching soon in a month. Make sure we use that month to really work for the betterment of our spirituality.

Isn't this deen a journey to explore about ourselves more? One day, you don't know how to pray. The other day, you start to realize that you can pray easily. You really work for it. I believe that our efforts to perform betterment every single day is part of the inner journey.

P.s. The channel that I mentioned above shows about abundance living lifestyle just by feeling enough to everything around. She tried to move to the country cottage after those fulltime travelling years and followed her dream to be an artist there. I recommend you to check it if you ever feel never enough and content. It's a very calming video. Best to watch before going to bed.

Cheers,
Fanaya

posted this on my Instagram page

Comments