Staycation in Gunung Kidul, Yogyakarta Homestay

My thought about family tradition

The thing I realized from adulting is I can connect what I am experiencing now to what I had ever done in childhood. My parents introduce a tradition in which every year on Christmas holiday we travel for quite extra due to my dad wants to relax from office routine and it is his only days off. This kind of travel isn't only visiting tourism places and dining somewhere for refreshment breathing, but we also take some time off to stay in a villa or we go for a long car ride. 
ps.: After two years of pandemics, we were finally able to make this happen. This is actually our annual family tradition to travel outside hometown during the end of the year.  

Considering this life span, my sister and I who become more mature with experiences outside the family's circle make a new dynamic. It's not only my mother providing all of the amenities for the kids nor my father riding the transportation for the family. I want them to enjoy their gold oldie's time. That being said, I wanted to take care of everything, especially the itinerary. With their money, they realized my decision-making idea. I was doing this with pleasure. 

So one day, my father said, "I want to visit Heha Sky View and rent a villa at the same time. We will enjoy the beach by the villa."

"Well. I can find a good villa nearby." I said. 

Using my multimedia literacy, Googling, we finish everything, right? So I did. I found three recommendations, yet I suddenly fell in love with "Kopilimo Cafe & Homestay." 

Simply because it has every detail that I looked for. There were photos, some testimonies, an Instagram account, phone calls, and a website. I contacted the phone number via Gmaps. I just knew that Gmaps is able to send direct messages to local businesses. 

The admin directed me to send WhatsApp messages on a different number. I proceeded with the reservation there. I did not have any booking apps on my phone and I was not very interested in booking via websites either. 

The next thing that made me sure I would get a very nice experience was the fast-response admin. I assumed that the homestay business must be a good deal.

So, I reported to my dad to transfer the deposit and he did the quest quickly. 

Facilities and Activities at Kopilimo Cafe & Homestay, Gunung Kidul

Long story short, I arrived there at 11 AM on Saturday. I fell in love suddenly. The homestay was very homey and cozy. We were at "Namira" HS 40 standard room. There were two bedrooms with a tv and air conditioner per each, one bathroom with toilet, shower, and a heating unit, a tv in the living room connected with the dining room, a guest room, a kitchen, a mini garden in the back, and a carport. The washbasin was behind the dining room and in the kitchen as well. 

We got toiletries such as soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, and towel for 4 packs. The homestay was also prepared for international guests because I saw 3 universal plugs. It is a minimalist design with orange and wooden brown as the main color branding. 

The first thing we did was we had lunch together. The lunch was brought from our home. We had Mom cook us Ca Kangkung, fried bandeng, and fried chicken (a must). Yummy! While mother was preparing the lunch on the dining table, my sister and I were busy recording the TikTok trend which we had considered before heading off LOL. 

Lunch was ready. We ate together in the living room while enjoying the TV show. "Keluarga Cemara" movie was being played. After that, we performed Dhuhr and Ashar prayers in the congregation. Of course, my dad led the sholah. There was a problem when we would like to take ablution. The shower, water tap, and toilet didn't work, so we used a washbasin instead. I was asked to report the problem to the receptionist. 


After that, we took a nap. Mama was the first to go to the bedroom. I managed to recite Quran and read a book before sleeping. Bapak asked us to get up at 2.30 PM. I turned my alarm on my phone. Then, we prepared to go to Heha Sky View. 

My father had thought that there would be a beach around the Heha complex. He had that background schemata in mind, yet my sister who had ever gone there with her friends believed my dad that Heha Sky View was just a place to see the hill from above, gardu pandang, with many selfie spots and a good restaurant. However, we still managed to bring our clothes to change for beach water play. 

It was only 10 minutes driving by car to go to Heha Sky View from Kopilimo Cafe & Homestay. Well, that's the main reason I chose this place at the beginning. My dad parked the car at a local junior high schoolyard. We, then, walked to the venue. IT WAS SO PACKED WITH GROUPS OF PEOPLE. It's a big no-no for us. Remember this is still a pandemic. Health protocols must be restricted. 

My dad finally knew that there was no beach at Heha Sky View. It was only his imagination. I re-learned again to enjoy the present and leave behind the expectation of enjoying the beach by the sunset. As someone who was in charge in the itinerary, I felt bad for them. 

A bit about Heha Sky View

The entrance ticket is 25K IDR per person. You need an extra fee if you plan to take some photographs on some selfie spots they provide. First, you will go round until you meet a decent restaurant at the end of the top sky bridge. The special spots here are the hill and the ballon air. Then, you can go down to go to the park and the food court with many trendy snacks provided. In the garden, you will find selfie spots. We did not manage to take it because it was very crowded. We just went sightseeing. My sister, brother, and I shared dragon flakes snack, a biscuit with a weird chemical process, to entertain us. 



**After writing this, I just knew that what my father meant by Heha was HEHA OCEAN VIEW where there is beautiful beach scenery from the top. Oh my god! That's why research and assertive communication are important, my friend. 

Kopilimo Cafe

We finally decided to go back to the villa at 5 PM. We discussed where we should have dinner, yet we ended up going with the Kopilimo Cafe menu instead. We can order by WhatsApp message and the food will be served at our house. However, we preferred dining in the restaurant. The atmosphere of the restaurant is very Javanese classic with most of the wooden furniture. There was a ping-pong table behind the cashier. We decided to dine in the set of chairs in the center. While the food was getting prepared, I connected my phone to the internet and joined a zoom webinar about journaling in Islam. My father, my brother, and my sister were playing ping-pong happily. I had Bakmi Jawa (traditional fried noodle) and Susu Jahe (milk and ginger), yet the rest of my family ate rice as usual. 

It was the tournament between Indonesia and Singapore in AFF Suzuki Cup. My father had been bragging about this championship since this morning. He made sure that the TV was okay once he got to the homestay. My father and my mother went back to the homestay to watch it after finishing dinner. While I was listening to the class, I saw 3 hotel staff sitting in front of the TV to support the Indonesian football team player as well. My sister and I finally went back to the homestay at 9 PM. We still had a chance to see the additional time of the football game. INDONESIA WON with so much drama in it. 

Heading home

The homestay provided breakfast facilities included in the package. We had nasi goreng with sunny-egg. Before having breakfast, I strolled around the homestay area to really know what it was about and to take photographs of the nice building. I found out that it was a project between a decent architecture and villagers to make sustainable tourism. I was quite shocked on the first day of arriving that this homestay was actually run by millennial villagers. Cool stuff indeed! 

My father managed to buy oleh-oleh, souvernirs, in the street shop next to Prambanan temple for our neighbors and relatives since my mom would have a meeting with his big brother at noon. After that, we had early lunch on my favorite meatball warung ever! We visited "Bakso Tengkleng" in Klaten. Alhamdulillah, we arrived home safely. 

So, what do I learn from this staycation trip?

First, it's important to make family memories. It's priceless but it's invaluable by money. Seeing from this adulting age who I become more mature to think, I know that I am responsible to take care of the part that I am capable of. It's not mama nor bapak again to think of all the trip's amenities which had become a tradition during our childhood golden era. I am satisfied enough with my multimedia literacy skill that successfully brought me here after comparing website sources to find the best stay that could effort our pocket yet comfortable. 

Second, I am learning about myself more. I am aware that by now domestic errands can be quite exciting. This is an upgraded version of Fatiha who was very spoiled. The highlight of the conversation was all about the insightful things in which I learn how to do parenting. You have to find the most correct time to communicate (giving advice and doing end-year reflection) with your children. 

📍A stay documentation at Kopilimo Cafe & Homestay, Gunung Kidul.
25th - 26th December 2021

See you on another different travelog!

Comments