Diary Lebaran #2 | "Salam Tempel" Hype.

For some children-me counted as children also-really excited when it comes to lebaran. Not because the ramadhan/fasting ends but because the money we'll get. There is tradition alike China has. Chinese say giving "Angpao". In this Indonesian Moeslem lebaran tradition, we call it giving salam tempel(the most general ones cause bahasa is our unity language). Salam means shaking hands or greeting and tempel means patching or stick. So, when we shake hands somebody older give the money. The practice doesn't always like what I explained. My family mention it "fitrah". Indonesia has so many cultures and languages. So, don't wonder why anymore! The meaning are all the same we just call it in the different way and language.

Salam tempel is shared on eid mubarak day to some children also adults that haven't worked from the older ones. The amount is just whatever based on the people's ability have. We usually use envelope to give the money or you can also give it directly. The kind of envelope are so many. There are the colorful ones and the plain ones.

One of the envelope's kind
(Sorry for the bad angle and quality camera)

From what I read and heard, the goal of this tradition is to appreciate the children that have done their fasting really well so that the children keep being spirit to do fasting again the next year. This tradition actually inspired from the Arabian's tradition which is "Eidya". I don't find other details like who started it, when started it, how can it brought to Indonesia, and etc. In Indonesia, the bank will be so crowded since everyone exchanges their money to the best and newest ones. There will be also some people who sell their service helping people exchange the money (I hate this kind of person actually, they apply "Riba" which is forbidden in Islam)

I still got salam tempel on this almost 18 years old. The rule on my family is if a body hasn't worked and married yet then we will get the money haha. The amount is just almost the same year by year. I got from my step-grand mother, aunts and uncles, cousins and nieces, my neighbors, and also mother and father. I didn't get from my brother and sister because they are younger than me.

Well, that's it. Thank you for reading my post.
See you on the next post. :)

Comments