MUN Diary #2 : Malaysian are So Kind

On April 13th this year, my friend named Dyah and I had a chance to go to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This was our first time going abroad experience. I never imagined that I would experience to meet wonderful kind people along journey.

Firstly, I met a man who help my friend and I to have our commuter line train ticket right after we arrived at the train station. That was my first time knowing such a machine. He knew that we were confused so he approached us asking what happened. We told him that we could not operate the machine. Then, he explained us the steps and the route that we have to choose. 

After that, we were success to know our train and the station point. We had to stop at Masjid Jamek station and move train to go to WTC Station. However, there was a problem. We didn’t know the route of movement from Masjid Jamek to WTC Station. I decided to take random train that I felt it was the train since we were in hurry to catch up the conference schedule at the moment. Then, we realized that we took a wrong train. So, I asked to a guy next to me on where we should go before the train went far away. This guy opened a map on his phone suddenly trying to find our journey’s route. He explained the detail about the route and asked us to follow him. After we went out from the train, he showed us to the stairs where we should go down. I brought a big suitcase. He knew that I had a hard situation with that things so he helped me to lift it up.

Actually, we stopped at the same station in the beginning. In contrast, we were still confused clear this route problem up. We did not want to have misdirection again, so Dyah asked to the security man while I was waiting worriedly for her. Luckily, there was a man that knew I was confused, tired, and worried. He offered help to just follow him until WTC Station. He promised that he would take us to our hotel. He said he knew the exact location of the hotel. At first, I was afraid why he was so kind. I tried to calm and prayed that he would not take us to a place that I could never imagine. He was a really nice guy fortunately. We arrived to WTC station after loosing many times. I knew he was a good man because he asked us to wait him praying Magrib if we wanted him to take my friend and I to our hotel. “I have limit time, I haven’t prayed yet.” He told us. At the end, we decided to go to our hotel by foot and by offline maps direction that we have downloaded since we thought we had no time again to wait him. The conference had already started since a half hour ago. As a result, he gave his facebook account so that we could ask him about Malaysia or travel companion in order to we would not lose again.



We started journey by foot and offline maps in the Dyah's hand. We tried to follow the direction. Actually, Dyah had already felt something wrong with the maps. It didn't work well but we kept going to reach our destination soon. In fact, we walked until World Trade Center. We loose again and again. I was stupid using maps even until now. Here I said "I give up! I think I will miss the conference on day 1. We are already 2 hours late. Right after we find the hotel, I will take a bath and go to bed soon. I would rather prepare for my speech tomorrow." On the contrary, Dyah still wanted to fight. She asked the security men that were a lot in front of WTC. They explained us the place but we still didn't know. While Dyah was asking for permission to not joining the day 1 conference in telephone with the committee, I took photo and sit down seeing the security men were discussing the easiest route that we could find. They finally decided to take us to our hotel by the car. I didn't know what kind of car but they said "Come on. We were in the same direction so why not?" and also they gave us nasi lemak. Yeah, we hadn't had a dinner even lunch yet. I couldn't say enough thank. 

On the second day, we planned to go to Kuala Lumpur Twin Tower at night around 8 PM. We thought that we could go there by commuter line. Additionally, we thought that 8 PM was not really that late since it is as same as isya' prayer time in Indonesia. So, we dressed up a little bit after going back from the conference. Dyah was doubtful that the commuter line service would open until midnight and she was afraid knowing the fact girls night out in totally new place and society. So, she asked the front desk clerk of our hotel. She told us that the commuter line system would open until 11 PM. Well, I thought it was enough but a little bit rushy. We decided to try first. In front of the hotel, there was a group asked us where we were going to. We answered that we wanted to go to KL Twin Tower by commuter line. They were socked. "No! No! You are girls. It is so scary out there" said a big man. "Better you use Grab. KL Twin Tower, the mall, will close at 9 PM." said a girl who later on I knew she is the manager and owner of the hotel. Then I answered "we will try first." in actually worry voice. Then, the manager said to me "I will take you there by my car. Come on." Oh my Lord, again and again ....they are so kind and helpful. So, we went to KL Twin Tower with the manager that drove the car, brother of the manager, and hotel's chef. What a wonderful journey! 

Last but not least, there were still a group of kind people that I met in Malaysia. On the third day, we planned to go to Pasar Seni to buy something for our family and friends after the conference. We had spare time between after dzuhur until magrib Malaysia time. It was the last day so we didn't want to miss the chance. So, we went to the train station. We were successful going there until Masjid Jamek Station. We took a train that we thought it was right but turned out it was not. There were two girls talking to me suddenly. They were Mak Cik Sri and Cik Anggi. They greeted us in very friendly way. Mak Cik Sri who is Indonesian works as English teacher and I talked a lot about English in our way until then I asked "Is it(train) right going to Pasar Seni?" It was a big mistake. We took a wrong direction for many times. Then, Mak Cik Sri said "Okay, I will stop here to take you guys up to the right station. Poor you" Oh my God! She let her time spend for helping us. "Come on follow me!" After a little walk, we were in front of the track of our right train. We exchanged number and took a selfie while we were waiting for our train.

Since then, I am no longer afraid talking to strangers since they may help you a lot. Also, this journey reminds me to always be kind to everyone.



*All conversation happened in Malay except the man whom we met in the train, Mak Cik Sri, and Cik Anggi. We mixed language between Malay and English.

Comments